Thursday, April 17, 2014

Deviance

Summary

  Deviance classify into 2 types : formal deviance, informal deviance. Formal deviance is official action like crime, and informal deviance is not provided in law. Deviance is relative norm, so sometimes same deviance behavior is different in each countries.
  Structural Functionalism is theory that deviance has behavior select function. It means that people judge right or wrong behavior by social deviance.
  In terms of conflict theory, deviance is explained to viewpoint of social class. And this article suggests white collar crime to explain deviance.
  Labeling theory means that deviance is one kind of labeling by other people.
  Social-Strain Typology 5 types of criterian : conformity, innovation, ritualism, retreatism, rebellition. According to rhis theory, as there are two things, deviance can become result of first thing, and breaking second thing for first thing.

 

Learned Items & My Opinion

  In fact, I don't know well about Social-Strain Typology. Words are difficult itself, and cannot understand well. But now, through picture(diagram) and explanation, I can understand this theory wholly.(Not detailly) Also, I am interested in labeling theory, and I agree about this labeling theory. I think deviance is social selection and social decision. Reason of relative feature is these labeling feature. Also, there are many examples to explain rabeling theory in society. In Korea, there are many rabeling in students about their grade.

Question

I have no question yet, but I wonder other examples of social deviance.

2 comments:

  1. In addition to breaking the law school violence, youth smoking drinking and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are so impressed by labeling theory. I was too. It is marvelous and likely theory. What label would you adapted? And I guess as social deviance ostracism, pickpocket, abuse.

    ReplyDelete